chillphin 2 chillphin 2

...this isn't very good, but I like it.

Peck Goes to School Peck Goes to School

Woah, what happened here? This is nowhere near as good as Peck 1. To be fair, the art/animation and voice acting are top-notch and somehow even better than last time, but the humour just isn't the same. The magic of Peck 1 was how it felt like some kind of fever dream: it starts off as a cute little cartoon about schoolyard baseball, but then things get kind of strange, the plot flies off the rails, and by the end of it you have no idea what the hell you just watched. This one was just "Coach is a grade school bully." That's pretty much it, and pales in comparison.

The biggest problem is that without things being normal for a while, there isn't much of an impact to Coach's antics. What helped the humour in the first episode was the unexpectedness of everything. Here, things start off weird, and it plays off the same kind of weirdness straight through to the end, so you get used to it after a while.

Even disregarding that, there isn't all that much to what Coach does in this episode, either. He just does some typical bully/frenemy stuff to Peck, which is really only made funny by the fact that he's a flabby middle-aged white guy going to school for some reason. The humour of the first episode came not just from the un-plot, but how every angle of Coach's personality was played to the extreme. He was a LIVID coach. He had HORRIBLE nightmares. He was an ENTHUSIASTIC husband/dad/???. This one comes close with the ending, but by that point I just feel sorry for poor Peck!

And that reminds me of the other big problem: Peck didn't do squat the entire time! Other than seeing his test answers (which were funny), Peck spent the whole episode standing around looking kind of sad, or getting beat up like a sandbag. Sure, watching a wimpy, blank-faced cartoon wiener-boy being the butt of abuse can be funny, but first he needs to be a foil to Coach for the insults and slapstick to mean anything.

I write this big long review because you guys have a good thing going with these cartoons and I can see them going places if you can hit the right marks. Keep going with them and I'm sure Peck will capture the hearts of many.

Lots of people find this review helpful!

The Price of Living The Price of Living

What was the moral of this movie, exactly? It's clearly trying to portray money in a negative light, but the metaphor of money people is all over the place. So because people are money, spending money is bad...but the protagonist isn't spending money, they're investing it, and is getting back more money, so shouldn't that be a good thing? I was half-expecting the protagonist to be able to replace their ripped-off money-flesh with all the cash the investment earned, thus turning them into a giant super money-person. A story about money-people who get "spent" to death (including the ones we see in the alley near the end) doesn't make any sense when said people have apparently been making plenty of money.

Also, the money-people concept equates putting money into an investment to sacrificing pieces of your body to some kind of evil government/corporate entity...but it also unwittingly suggests that a person's identity and self-worth are synonymous to how much money they have. This is especially confusing because despite how the movie is dripping with an anti-money sentiment, it is accidentally very pro-money, and is giving the (rather poor) lesson that the purpose of money is for it to be hoarded. Something tells me this isn't what you were going for, and it muddles whatever message you were trying to convey.

And are you really trying to say that investing money is morally objectionable? Is that really the worst thing about money to dedicate a whole movie to? You could have made the movie about the evils of consumerism; or corporate greed; or wealth disparity; or the dangers of poor financial education--all while keeping the money-people concept. If you absolutely had to attack the concept of investing, maybe you could done a story about money put into bank & government loans getting used by the banks & governments for nefarious purposes, thus dooming investors to guilt by association. Even that's a bit of stretch, but I just have a hard time believing that something as tame as putting money into an investment is as bad as self-mutilation to appease a flesh-hungry corporate deity.

The 3/5 is for the animation & mood, which were done well, but the actual content of this movie just didn't sit right with me.

(By the way, I wrote this before reading too many other reviews so that I could come to my own conclusions before being influenced by other people's. My apologies if some of my concerns have already been addressed by other reviews.)

Nothing To Hide Nothing To Hide

Wow, this is a really impressive game. I love it when a genre is flipped on its head, and you executed the concept of an anti-stealth game perfectly. The game's visuals also did a great job of explaining & supporting the mechanics without being explicit, and weren't just pretty for the sake of being pretty. (I would have liked the camera "beacons" to be a bit easier to notice, though.) And nice work with HTML5 medals! It's always great to see a game that helps a whole platform progress.

The story and atmosphere is also great, as it both supports and is supported by the gameplay, and delivers a good message even if it does come across as a tad pretentious. However, to really hit home with the point that's trying to be made with the story, the negative effects of hyper-surveillance should be more significant to the protagonist in-universe. I know this is only a glimpse of what the full game will offer, but right now it seems like the evils of the game's world that are obvious for the player aren't necessarily so for someone who has lived in that world all her life. What seems twisted to us may be normal for her, despite her apparent discomfort & insecurity throughout the game--for instance, she seems pretty okay with the idea of "criminals" being tranquilized. There needs to be something that gives Poppy a reason to see her world the way we see it. (By the way, these are recommendations, not complaints. I also assume there are already things planned for the story that will address this, but I feel I should say it anyways.)

Overall, great concept, great execution, great presentation, great everything. I'm looking forward to the full game!

100 LADDER 100 LADDER

I enjoyed playing this! The weight distribution mechanic prevented this game from being just another "catch" game, even though it was implemented in a simple way. For a game of this scale I don't have many complaints--the visuals were simple, yet appealing and informative; and the gameplay was simple and fun--but two problems are the lack of instructions, and slowdown.

I know the instructions are in the comments, but it would have been nice to see them in-game. Even a bit of text on the home screen would have been a great help. Without knowing the instructions, the in-game balance bar (as helpful as it is) doesn't mean anything. (I'm aware I have been guilty of this same oversight, but that's why I'm pointing it out; I have since realized how much this impacts a game.)

The game also suffers from slowdown once a few dozen ladders are stacked, which didn't surprise me since having lots of elements in a Flash game usually results in sluggishness, and you probably wanted to keep the stacked ladders around to keep their impact on the balance. But next time you deal with something like this, try thinking of some kind of workaround that lets you remove offscreen items so as to speed the game back up.

SpinMan SpinMan

Fun game! I like the idea, and the sound & visual queues do a great job at teaching one how to play and how to play well. The "urban turntable" visual style is also very fitting and inviting. Not to mention that the game itself is an interesting & unique take on a rhythm game.

A big problem, though, is how whenever you reach a milestone and the associated line of congratulatory text enters the screen, the game experiences a rather nasty hiccup in frame rate. I presume it was necessary to keep the game synced with sound, as when I turned my eyes away from the screen I didn't have a problem keeping rhythm. Nonetheless, frame rate/skip issues in a rhythm game are never a good thing. Maybe see if this can be fixed somehow?

Voice acting 1 Voice acting 1

Nice one! Spooky stuff. I'm happy to hear that the growliness is all-natural, as it's certainly something to love.

ESTAR48 responds:

O: It's you Johnson! I still remember you from the game jam, it's been a long time huh? I'm glad you're still around, and that you liked it :D

Generic 80's Dance Synth ^^ Generic 80's Dance Synth ^^

Reason is a good program

But it's expensive :S

GlowCow GlowCow

That is the cutest cow. <3

Brewster responds:

thanks man

Louis Armstrong Louis Armstrong

Hey!

Photography doesn't belong in the Illustration catego--

...oh.